The Aboleth Mind Thrall is a new PC race for use with the Pathfinder RPG.
The controlling Aboleth's intelligence directs the Thrall but horrible living conditions have weakened the Thralls body. Although the controlling Aboleth is intelligent enough to convincingly mimic human behavior the Thrall still bears a slightly degenerate appearance or otherwise exhibits an "alien" or otherworldly aura which is unsettling.
- Medium: Mind Thralls are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Mind Thralls have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Swim: +2 racial bonus on swim checks.
- Low-Light Vision: Mind Thralls can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Vulnerable to Sunlight: A Mind Thrall takes 1 point of Con damage after every hour it is exposed to sunlight.
- Immunities: Mind Thralls are immune to all forms of Fear, Charm, or Mind Control (they are effectively under a permanent mind control effect).
- Ferocity: A creature with ferocity remains conscious and can continue fighting even if its hit point total is below 0. The creature is still staggered and loses 1 hit point each round. The creature still dies when its hit point total reaches a negative amount equal to its Constitution score. -This represents the Aboleth Master forcing the Thrall to continue even when mortally wounded.
- Frightful Gaze: Creatures within 30 feet that meet the Thralls gaze must succeed on a DC 13 Will save or stand paralyzed in fear for 1 round. This is a mind-affecting fear paralysis effect. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the frightful gaze of that Thrall for 1 day. The save DC is Charisma-based. -This represents the Aboleth Master allowing the merest portion of alien intelligence to be visible for a brief moment in the eyes of the Thrall.
- Languages: Mind Thralls begin play speaking Common and Aboleth. Thralls with high Intelligence scores can choose from any of the listed languages.
Aboleth Mind Masters usually cultivate Thralls into Sorcerers with the Aquatic bloodline, but may choose nearly any other class if they feel it will better suit their needs. Aboleths do not worship any divine entity however- so a Mind Thrall functioning as a Cleric would be extremely difficult if not impossible. An entire party of Mind Thralls would be cool but if a Thrall is in a party with non-Thralls the other characters probably shouldn't know what the Thrall really is. A Mind Thrall should be played very intelligently and with an evil slant in regards to alignment.
-Notes: Ok, so this class kinda started a joke I was having with George about his recent series of posts on monsters as PCs. As I worked on making Aboleths a playable option I got more and more into it, reading all the material I could find about these creepy fish-lords. I really like the result, because although the stats are for the Mind Thrall, the player is really taking on the role of an Aboleth Mind Master. It is very meta- "playing a player". It lets the Player be able to reasonably roleplay caring little for the characters life, and be a evil fish monster at the same time. If anyone plays this please let me know how it goes.